Crock-Pot Ranch Mushrooms2014-11-25
“Annoying the cook will result in smaller portions.”
I grew up living a rather limited cuisine-wise life which was mostly my fault for being so picky (because my mom was a very good cook). Anyway, I never ate a mushroom until I was approaching the age of AARP eligibility! Now, I eat mushroom dishes almost every chance I get and I especially love this simple recipe. I wish I could credit the recipe’s creator but that would be almost impossible because it appears on literally dozens of cooking websites and blogs.
½ cup Butter, melted (one stick)
16 oz Mushrooms, whole, white or brown, small to medium
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch dressing or dip dry mix (1 oz)
First some discussion … (a) Fresh mushrooms usually have to be cleaned and it isn’t an easy task. I fill the sink with several inches of cool water and pour the entire box of mushrooms into it and stir them around with my hand for several minutes. Then, I take a small soft-bristle paint brush and use it to brush off the specks of dirt from each mushroom while holding it under running water from the faucet. Once clean, I place the mushrooms in the crock-pot. (b) it is your call, but it is not necessary to trim off the mushroom stems. (c) Depending on your preference, you may want to slice the mushrooms before cooking them … I like to do this if we plan to eat them served over steaks. (d) Hidden Valley Ranch makes dressing mix and they make dip mix … either will work fine with this recipe. (e) This is supposed to be a recipe for four servings but considering that the mushrooms reduce down during the long cooking time, the four servings end up being a bit skimpy … for this reason, I usually double the recipe or, at least, add to it by half. Okay, let’s get to cooking ….
- Using non-stick spray, lightly spray the inside of the crock-pot bowl and place the cleaned mushrooms in the bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the melted butter and dry mix and whisk until well blended.
- Pour the butter mixture over the mushrooms in the crock-pot.
- Set the crock-pot to LOW and cook for 4 hours (5 won’t hurt). Although it is unnecessary, I often start occasionally stirring the mushrooms after about 3 hrs but this is only an excuse to eat a few!
- What are you waiting for … it’s ready … go eat!